I’ve been thinking lately that I’ve become too discouraged and cynical. Life has been getting me down, but this is not the person I want to be. I want to be optimistic and upbeat, focusing on the full half of the glass.
It can be so hard to focus on the good things in life when there is something difficult that seems so huge. And, realistically, I don’t think I will ever be the type of person who never complains or who can always manage to smile. Life is hard, and I think it’s ok to recognize that it is hard and to be sad when hard things happen to us. Grief is a part of being human, and I don’t think our society should be as wary of it as we often are.
When it comes down to it, though, there are more things going right in my life right now than there are going wrong. Since today is Thanksgiving, it seems appropriate to take a few minutes to remember a few of those things that I am grateful for:
- An amazing husband, who is always at my side and who will support me through anything this life can throw at us.
- The most adorable and mischievous cat who knows to snuggle when I’m sad and who makes me laugh every day.
- The incredible world we live in. There is a winter wonderland outside my windows this morning, and it is truly beautiful.
- The chance I have to further my education. I’ve worked hard to get where I am, but I know what a privilege it is for me to be attending grad school, and I never want to take it for granted.
- A hot cup of (herbal) tea on a chilly morning.
- Modern medicine. Navigating the health care system can be frustrating, but I am so grateful for the miracles that are worked at the hands of competent doctors and for the fact that we have options for building our family.
- Books. And libraries. And the internet. How amazing is it that we have access to so much information and that we can connect with each other around the world in so many ways?
- The peace that comes to my heart from following my faith.
What are you thankful for today?